Recognition of foreign qualifications
- Equivalence of qualifications - same legal validity
- Recognition of qualifications - without legal validity
It is a provision that attributes the same legal value as an Italian qualification to a foreign qualification.
Non-EU citizens must contact:
- Permanent Territorial Centers (Centri Territoriali Permanenti) to get the Middle School diploma
- Higher Education Institutions (Istituti di Istruzione Superiore) to get the High School diploma
Citizens of the European Union, of States adhering to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein, San Marino), of the Swiss Confederation (Switzerland) and holders of refugee or subsidiary protection status, residing in the Province of Turin, for qualifications corresponding to the Middle School and High School diploma, they must submit an application to the Regional School Office for Piedmont - Territorial Area of Turin (Ufficio Scolastico Regionale per il Piemonte - Ambito Territoriale di Torino).
For qualifications corresponding to degree diplomas, an application must be submitted in one of the Turin universities where the corresponding degree diploma is located:
It is a formal certification by which the competent authority carries out a synthetic assessment of the foreign qualification, establishing a level correspondence and recognition for certain purposes, without conferring legal value on the qualification. Legal effects are valid only for the purpose for which they are requested.
In Italy, there are different procedures according to the purpose for recognition.
To enroll or continue your studies at an Italian university, it must be requested from the university in which you want to enroll. As for the Turin universities:
- Recognition of foreign degrees - University of Turin [Equivalence of qualifications]
- Riconoscimento di un titolo estero - Politecnico di Torino [Equivalence of qualifications]
In Italy professions are divided into two categories:
- legally “non-regulated” professions
- legally “regulated” professions
Recognition of qualifications held by refuges
The following services related to recognition of qualifications held by refugees are available:
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) has activated a service for the request of Statements of Validity (Dichiarazione di valore) for refugees and international and subsidiary protection holders.
- CIMEA, via its own service of statement of comparability and certification of qualifications - Diplome - produces, free of charge, “Statement of Comparability” of foreign qualifications for persons with refugee status, subsidiary or international protection holders and detainees. To access the service kindly register here.
- CIMEA has also sponsored and activated the National Coordination for the Evaluation of Refugee Qualifications (CNVQR): an informal network of experts from the administrative sector who operate inside higher education institutions and who deal with recognition of qualifications, to share evaluation procedures, problem cases, sources of information and methodological practices in cases of evaluation of qualifications held by refugees, even in cases of little or no documentation.
- In 2017, CIMEA activated the Academic Pass of Refugee Qualifications that, through the development of an innovative procedure, allows the evaluation of qualifications of holders of international protection even in cases of fragmented or completely absent documentation. Since the EQPR project is currently active in Italy, we invite you to consider the latter in case of need to evaluate qualifications of refugees with little or no documentation.
- CIMEA is involved in international projects that focus on recognition of refugees’ qualifications.
For more information and insights, please refer to the following page of the ENIC-NARIC network website: http://www.enic-naric.net/recognise-qualifications-held-by-refugees.aspx.
For residents of Piedmont, the help desk is available that offers guidance and information on the development paths in Italy of educational qualifications, professional qualifications and formal and non-formal skills acquired abroad.
Active branches are present in Turin, Asti, Biella, Cuneo, Novara and Vercelli.
Online interviews are available for all other provinces.
For information and reservations, call the telephone number 3208251188 active on Wednesday 9.30-13.00 and on Thursday 14.00-18.00