To come to study in Italy, apply for an entry visa to the Italian embassy or consulate in your country of residence. Within 90 days you will have a visa for the duration of your course or a maximum of one year.

These are all the documents needed to apply for the visa:

  • Covered visa application form: download it from the consulate website.
  • Passport valid until at least 3 months after the expiration date of the required visa.
  • Flight ticket or reservation
  • A recent photo card
  • Certificate of residence or facsimile.
  • Certificate attesting your enrolment at an italian university.
  • Document certifying that during your stay in Italy you will have at your disposal an accommodation (rental contract or declaration of hospitality) and the amount necessary for the return to your country.
  • Documentation showing that you can stay financially: you will need to have an amount in euros for each month of stay in Italy. You can prove it with cash, financial guarantees, deposit insurance, even third parties, credits or prepaid services, bank statements, and credit cards.
  • International health insurance is valid in Italy for cases of urgent medical and hospital care. If you already have insurance in your country, you will have to prove that it is also valid for Italy and the Schengen area states. Otherwise, you will need to take out adequate insurance in your country of residence or in Italy. As a student, you can apply for the Waitaly policy, very practical and convenient: you pay 71€ for the half-year coverage and 121€ for the annual one. Create a profile on and pay online or by bank transfer. If the coverage of your policy does not have to start today, but on the day of your arrival in Italy, choose as the payment method the bank transfer and indicate in the box the reason for payment the start date you want. Remember that health insurance is also essential for the issuance of a residence permit.

Attention: the visa is a document that only allows entry into Italy. It cannot be renewed or converted into another type of visa, such as a work visa.

Not found what you were looking for? Contact us!